Friday, October 15, 2010

Diagnosis

I am guessing, like anyone starting a blog, you don't know where to begin. I'm just going to dive right in. We have an incredible 17-month- old little girl named Cecilia.
Pretty early on I noticed that Cecilia favored her left hand. I research everything, so I read a few articles. I found out that babies can show a preference as early as 6 or 9 months, but they should be relatively ambidextrous until the age of 2 or 3. As she got older she hit all her developmental milestones towards the end of the age range, but always made it. She was happy and healthy and no one suspected anything was wrong.
Once Cecilia started crawling she did what we called her pirate crawl. She held her right leg stiff to the side. After crawling for a month or so she did crawl in a more traditional way. At her 12-month-appointment she was just starting to walk holding our hands. Just before her 15-month-appointment she took her first steps. Woohoo! First steps are so exciting.
As she started walking more she kept her right leg stiff, which we made sure to point out to her pediatrician. After some discussion during her appointment we were going to be sent to physical therapy and a dietician. Oh, I didn't mention she is a peanut too. She fell off the growth chart a few months ago, but we are not big people and she eats well so, whatever.
When the hospital called to schedule the appointments they said she would be seeing a physiatrist. I had never heard of this kind of doctor before. Here is a definition if you are interested. http://www.aapmr.org/condtreat/what.htm
It took us a month to get in to see Dr. Steve, the physiatrist. We saw him on the afternoon of September 9th. Dr. Steve examined Cecilia for a few minutes. He said to us "did your pediatrician talk to you about why she sent you." Uh, no. "There is a very broad spectrum, but Cecilia has very mild cerebral palsy."
My reaction probably seemed unemotional. I need information. She will need to have an MRI, wear a brace on her right foot, physical therapy, occupational therapy. It is a lot to take in when you go in to a doctor's office thinking that something might be off, but you can't imagine getting a diagnosis that sounds so scary.
We feel so lucky that the only apparent damage is a mild mobility issue. It won't get worse. We know what we are facing now and we can deal with it.
So, next step MRI.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mariah...I am so glad Cecilia is doing well. I know it must have been very scary for all of you. Cecilia is very lucky that is only a mild mobility issue and that it won't get any wore. I have been praying for all of you....grandpa too!!!

    How are you doing with your pregnancy? I hope you have been able to start eating again. I heard you won the chili contest. How do you make your chili? The picture where you were starting it was so pretty!!!

    I hope you all can get back down here in the next year or so. I will be very anxious to meet Cecilia's new sister too and I hope that you will have time to put a picture or two up of your new daughter and her big sister & their Mom and Dad!!!! The whole family!!!!

    Love to all of you. Know that I think of all of you often!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mariah. I hate that your family has to go through this. The best advice I can give is to be the collector of information and learn as much as possible-plus get acquainted with some local parents with the same diagnosis, ideally a few steps ahead of you. You are all in our thoughts and let us know if you need anything. Sending our love...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Mo! I love my lil peanut and continue to pray for her! She is a shining star CP or not! Love you guys! I added you to my google reader so I can keep up to date! Beauty supply soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing Mom! You have handled this so well and I know this blog will help other parents going through the same thing. I love you P

    ReplyDelete